Fatal Car Accident Lawyer You Can Count On
We can handle your claim and file a wrongful death lawsuit if necessary
The death of a loved one can be a traumatic experience in many circumstances. However, when someone dies due to a car accident caused by another driver, many people experience a wide range of emotions – anger, confusion, fear, grief. Knowing what to do afterwards can be overwhelming. Even knowing what your legal options are might not be clear. Fortunately, you’re not alone. Our Colorado Springs law firm can help you every step of the way.
Attorney Stephen A. Longo and his talented legal team at The Longo Firm, LLC have years of experience dealing with many different types of car accidents. As a result, we’re familiar with the laws governing such cases and how the legal system works. Such in-depth knowledge enables us to focus our research and find strong evidence in support of your claim. We’re serious about helping you.
We also understand the sensitive nature of such cases. That’s why we believe it’s important to be accessible on your terms. If you need to talk to attorney Longo at any time about your case, you can call him directly on his personal cellphone. We’re here for you when you need us most.
What are common fatal car accidents?
Accidents that result in a fatality often occur because the at-fault driver was behaving in a reckless or negligent manner. Such cases can cover a wide range of accidents, including:
- High speed accidents, especially highway accidents, in which the at-fault driver was going too fast and didn’t have enough time to slow down and avoid a collision.
- Reckless or aggressive drivers who pass illegally, change lanes without warning or run a red light, resulting in an intersection accident, a head-on collision or another type of fatal accident.
- Drunk drivers who lose control of the vehicle and veer into on-coming traffic. Drivers under the influence of alcohol and drugs also often cause speeding accidents because their sense of judgment is impaired.
- Tired drivers who fall asleep at the wheel and crash into another car. Such accidents often result in fatalities because the at-fault driver made no attempt to slow down before the accident.
Whatever the circumstances of the fatal car accident you’re dealing with, make sure you fully understand all the options available to you. Talk to an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
What options are available in such cases?
In order to obtain financial compensation in accident, you need to clearly establish that the other driver was at fault. This is because many states like Colorado and Arizona have a fault-based insurance system. That means the at-fault driver is responsible for paying for all accident-related expenses.
Depending on the circumstances of your fatal accident, you often have several options available to you. Such options may include:
- Accept a settlement offer from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
- Ask for more money and negotiate a better settlement offer.
- File a lawsuit – including a wrongful death lawsuit – or take other legal action to obtain damages (financial compensation) for accident-related expenses.
In each case, an experienced lawyer can help you in such situations and make sure your rights are respected and your case receives the attention it rightfully deserves.
Who can file a lawsuit in such cases?
When someone dies in a car accident caused by another driver, only certain people have the right to file a lawsuit or take other legal action. Such people often include:
- The victim’s spouse (husband, wife).
- The victim’s children (son, daughter).
- The victim’s parents if the deceased person did not have a spouse or any children.
- The victim’s estate in many circumstances.
It’s also important to remember that family members only have a limited amount of time to take legal action. In Colorado, for example, the deadline to file a wrongful death lawsuit or take other legal action is three years from the date of the accident. If you miss that deadline, you could miss out on your only opportunity to obtain the money your family deserves.
How much is my accident claim worth?
The financial impact of a fatal car accident can be staggering. That’s because your family deserves to be financially compensated for all accident-related expenses and anticipated financial losses due to the accident. As a result, your accident can easily be worth thousands of dollars or much more. The bottom line is you should be compensated for all expenses, including:
- Any medical care related to your loved one’s accident.
- The cost of repairing or replacing your loved one’s vehicle.
- Funeral costs and expenses.
- Lost future income your loved one would have earned if they had survived the accident.
- Pain and suffering in certain circumstances.
It’s impossible to put a price on someone’s life. That’s why your case is ultimately about more than just money. It’s about holding the at-fault driver or whoever was responsible for the accident accountable for their actions. This is why it’s critical that you have an experienced attorney on your side, standing up for your family’s rights.
Put your trust in a law firm that puts your needs first. Contact us.
You have suffered enough. Losing a loved one in a car accident can be a traumatic experience. You shouldn’t have to worry about how your family will pay your bills or other financial concerns. That’s our job and we’re here to help you deal with insurance companies or anyone else who stands in your way.
Get the law firm that puts your family’s best interests first. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation with attorney Longo. He can answer your questions, explain your options and design a strategy to suit your specific legal needs.
The Longo Firm, LLC – here for you when you need us most.