Experienced Hit-And-Run Accident Lawyer Who Fights For You
We can investigate your crash, handle your claim and explore your options
One of the most frustrating types of car accidents is a hit-and-run accident. When the driver flees the scene of an accident, it’s confusing to know what to do next. Even knowing what your legal options are might not be clear. That’s why it’s critical that you talk to someone who understands the law and knows what to do next.
Attorney Stephen A. Longo and his dedicated legal team at The Longo Firm, LLC in Colorado Springs can help you every step of the way. We have years of experience dealing with these types of car accidents. We know how to investigate them and the best ways to demand the money you deserve for your crash.
Remember, you didn’t do anything wrong. The driver who caused your collision was the one who broke the law and left the scene of the accident. That’s why we take such cases so seriously. For us, it’s not just about the money. It’s about helping people who truly need our help the most.
Why do hit-and-run accidents happen?
Hit-and-run accidents often occur because someone was driving recklessly or behaving in a negligent manner. This might include texting while driving or speeding. What makes many hit-and-run accidents different from other accidents is the fact that the driver fled the scene of the crash. There are many reasons why drivers do this, including:
- Expired driver’s license, suspended license or no driver’s license at all.
- Driver is uninsured and does not have any insurance.
- Car was stolen or unregistered.
- Driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time.
- Driver was committing a crime at the time of the accident.
These are just some of the reasons why drivers often flee the scene of an accident. Whatever the circumstances of your crash, make sure you talk to a lawyer right away about your accident to learn more about your legal options.
What should I do after a hit-and-run?
If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, there are several things you should do to protect your health, your safety and your rights. Such steps often include:
- Do not follow the other driver. You could put yourself and others at risk by attempting to pursue them.
- Call the police immediately and tell them you have been in a hit-and-run accident. Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime.
- If someone saw your accident, get the eyewitness’ full name and best phone number to contact them. That way, police can interview the witness as part of their investigation.
- Write down everything you can remember about the car that struck you. This may include:
- Make and model of the car, if possible.
- Any details you can remember about the driver.
- How the accident happened.
- Take photographs of the accident scene, including damage to your vehicle.
- Call your insurance company and tell them you were in a hit-and-run accident. Don’t go into great detail at first. Simply tell them you were in an accident.
- Contact a lawyer right away. The sooner you have an attorney working for you, the better.
These are just a few suggested steps to take after your hit-and-run crash. Each accident is different. That’s why it’s important to take an approach based on the specific circumstances of your crash. An experienced lawyer can help you with this and create a strategy that suits your particular case.
What options are available to me?
Ideally, the police will apprehend the driver who caused your accident and fled the scene of the crash. If they do not do so, you may have several options available to you based on the circumstances of your crash and your insurance coverage.
In many cases, your best option is to file a claim with your own insurance company. This option is much easier if you have insurance coverage for uninsured or underinsured accidents. In Colorado, you must be offered such insurance and have to decline such coverage in writing.
Even if you have insurance for underinsured or uninsured accidents, that doesn’t mean your insurance company will automatically cover your insurance claim. Insurance companies can often be difficult to deal with after an accident. This is especially true if you have a large insurance claim. That’s why it’s important to have a lawyer who knows how to deal with insurance companies and who can negotiate with them on your behalf.
You have rights. We can fight for them. Learn more. Contact our law firm.
There are often so many issues to deal with after a serious hit-and-run accident. Don’t try to tackle all of them on your own. Get the law firm that puts your best interests first. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation with attorney Longo. He will answer your call directly or call you right back to schedule an appointment with you. If you have any questions throughout your case, you can contact attorney Longo directly anytime on his personal phone. We work this way because we believe we should be available on your terms.
Don’t delay. Contact us today. We’re here for you when you need us most.